Thursday, March 15, 2012

Include, Don't Exclude



Over the last few months I’ve been asking myself:
1. Why are there cliques?
2. Why do girls feel the need to exclude others?

Obviously cliques are something that girls all over the nation are facing. If that wasn’t a fact then there wouldn’t be movies like Mean Girls, and the Disney channel would have to come up with a new concept for all of their shows.

Up until the past few months I have been caught up in the lie that every school or social atmosphere needs to have a popular group and that only the elite can get in.

I have even felt the power of being in one of those exclusive groups. I’ve enjoyed the feeling of being wanted. It really didn’t bother me that others did not make it in the group. In fact, the idea that some people weren’t in made me feel wanted and worthy.

However, unlike some of the elite, I’ve experienced the other side of the equation as well. Growing up I was not the cool girl. I was a shy, big glasses wearing, and tattletale of a girl. I was not popular. I was always afraid that someone was making fun of me.

It’s kind of odd that even though I hated the feelings of worthlessness I had no problem making others feel worthless.

This past semester I’ve met a great new group of friends! These friends don’t reject people – they love them. My new group of friends is always inclusive. Now I just don’t understand why anyone would want to be exclusive.

I love having friends, and living in a happy world. The only way to accomplish that is by accepting the differences in others and being willing to set aside differences to at least be civil with one another.

Friends are what make the world go round. The more friends you have the more networking is possible.

I’ll never forget what my first grade teacher told me before I moved. She said, "Moving will give you the opportunity to make new friends."

I love having friends, and I love having people be nice to me.  For this reason, and many more I include, not exclude.

No comments:

Post a Comment